Thursday, November 14, 2013

A young athlete with a bright future


A young athlete with a bright future
November 14, 2013
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


I started working with Nicolas Thralls Sanchez sometime in September through one of my referrals. From the get-go I noticed that he is unlike many youngsters his age. One of the aspects I enjoy more about working with him, is that he takes the initiative, as opposed to waiting for me to indicate an assignment. His interest in all the classwork, homework and other hobbies and responsibilities is very plausible, he questions, he reviews, studies and  tells me “I need to improve my grammar, I love writing, I keep a journal about my daily happenings, I need to expand my vocabulary, I signed up for the Spartan Race, I need to train harder but I just hurt my ankle.” He’s very enthused and focused about life in general despite his short life span, he analyzes every scenario very thoroughly to avoid losing track. 

One day he told me that he never wants to be like his friends when they meet a girl. The first time they take her out to the movies and/or dinner, the next thing is, they’re dating. “I don’t want to be like them, how can you know someone who you have gone out with only once?” I like to think more before making a decision. Having been brought up in a bilingual, multicultural, and bi-literate scenario makes him more intellectual.  

Sometimes it is a bit hard to click with others but out interest in sports, reading, writing and being multicultural, are what makes a difference. Not all the young people his age are full of stamina towards positive aspects. He looks at the whole picture, analyzes and plans short and long term...



Name: Nicolas Thralls Sanchez 
DOB: May 18, 1996
Age: 17 years old
Weight: 79 kilos (174.165 pounds)
Height: 1.86 meters (6 feet, 10236 inches)
Sports practiced/played: 
I run 5 and 10k’s, I am on the swim team in my High School, I also do weight-boarding as a hobby.  
How long have you played each sport:
about 3 years, I used to compete, now I only do it as a hobby.
Swimming for 7 years, I started when I was ten years old.
Running: I’ve been doing it for the last two years.
What is weight board, is it well known all over the world, in Mexico, the U. S.?: It is a world wide sport, it has become very popular in Mexico in the last few years. It became very popular in Florida, which is the capital of weight boarding. Weight boarding is water skiing on a board in which you can be pulled by a boat on a lake or in the ocean, or through a belt pulley in order to be able to ski on the water surface.
Fitness level: 
Weight boarding: I used to compete so I would say I was at an advanced level until I came down with an injury on my clavicle and that’s when I had to take a break, I have never gone back to it again. That’s when my interest towards running developed. Not long ago I competed in the Kardias 10k in Mexico City. Kardias is a run for  a cause in which you raise funds for young people who need a heart surgery. I was able to raise over $18,000.00 pesos for those young people. 
That’s one of the things I have enjoyed and  liked the most about this, it not only does good for you but to others as well. On top of that is living a healthy lifestyle, and help others do the same thing.
How many times a week do you train: 
I swim 4,000 meters a week, I alternate days.
Running, I run 5k a week, I generally train at the gym lifting weights and doing cardio routines which help me to build endurance.
Best places to run: 
Bosque Colomos. It is very close to my house and it provides a very healthy environment and beautifully surrounded by tress that provide shade, and clean air where I can find other runners.
What are your biggest challenges: 
Finding time, when I wake up in the mornings and I am too lazy to get up. That’s when the real challenge comes, the point is to overcome that and hop out of bed and do things the way you want to. You do it for yourself, not to have a nice body or to get applauded by others.
What is your purpose for doing exercise: 
My purpose is to be healthy.
How and when did you get started doing/playing sports: 
I grew up in a very healthy environment. Both my parents have always liked to run. Since I was a little boy, I used to go watch him during his races. My mother was a national swim competitor for many years. Having a healthy diet and working out were always ingrown in my family surroundings.
What is your daily routine:
It is not  that tough daily, when I have to train for an upcoming raise, I increase my training time. I do cardio three times a week, resistance and strength building/weight lifting.
What do you think that Mexico is now number one in overweight and obesity: 
I am truly sorry about this. Honestly, Mexico is an amazing and beautiful country that has all the potential for us to do anything we want. It is time to promote and encourage sports more, specially young people need to start adopting this habit. 
What advice would you give to amateur and veteran athletes:
Take the first step, the first step is the most difficult. Once you are through that barrier, that obstacle that doesn’t allow you to move forward, it becomes very easy. The first step is what makes you develop a love for movement.






Nicolas at a race

Nicolas weight boarding

No comments: