Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Everyone deserves a second chance


Everyone deserves a second chance
January 1st, 2014
By: Gina Yoryet Roman


They say that it takes 45 days to form a habit or perhaps longer. On the other hand, it is very easy to get dragged into lounging around and do nothing, becoming unproductive can happen at the blink of an eye. I’ve experienced that before and I fought against it every day because I don’t like sitting idle unless I am bedridden.

Unfortunately towards the end of November and December I was struck by melancholy and mixed emotions about unexpected happenings and seeing people I hadn’t seen in a long time. I’ve always been vulnerable and easily affected by life’s changes. Yet, I can ‘adapt’ quickly. 

I have not worked out since early November, I had not posted since December 16, I have devoted very little time to my prayers, I have not read as frequently as before and last but not least, I have not done any volunteer work since sometime in October. 

There’s more than a handful of excuses to everything really. This year though, was my worst one physically. Ever since July of 2012, one physical problem after another happened unexpectedly. This hindrance almost impaired me to perform full force at the gym - All this year I felt like a grandma, not only did I lack strength, motivation, discipline, drive, my self-control and purpose went stray. I felt like a stranger in my own body!

Just when I thought things were getting somewhat better, the other day during my power walk, I tripped and fell into a drain. LOL! Looking back, it seems funny but it was very painful at the moment. With the impact my operated knee and calf were badly scratched. I was lucky to get myself out of there and limp towards a nearby bench where I sat down for a few minutes to get myself together. To make the long story short, I am still swollen, scratched and bruised and it still hurts to walk.

To be honest, I am very bummed and unmotivated to get a head start physically impaired but I am learning to be patient and I tell myself that I have a whole life ahead of me to get in shape. I am trying to make GY understand that my body needs a second chance, why not a third and fourth opportunity? Especially when things were not within my control.

January 1st, 2014 is the perfect day to take advantage of those favorable circumstances, start a new, take it slowly and carefully and reach out for emotional, financial and physical wellness once again to find balance.  

No comments: